Thursday, October 27, 2016

Meeting NTU Provost Prof Freddy


It’s been an annual thing, since my freshman year. Every academic year there’d be a new campaign or project that I’d have the absolute honour and delight to work with the corp comms office at NTU. Each time without fail, I’d always meet amazing people, work together in a fantastic team and I can’t help but think how it’s really added so much value to my time at NTU, in a way that nothing could top it more. It’s shown me the true meaning of an all-rounded education that you can look forward to in a world-class university in the heart of Asia. I’ve been lucky, and I’m grateful for all the opportunities along the way.

At the ION Underground with the 2015 NTU Admissions poster!
In Hey! Magazine, before the opening of the new Medicine school on campus
Looking through these photos bring me back 4 years ago when I was at a Freshman Welcome ceremony, checking out the food line (4 years later, this is still a habit my peers and I keep! There’s always an event happening on campus, and if you follow your nose (or tummy) you’ll find the start of the food line). It was at that moment when the team approached me and asked if I was free for a photoshoot happening the next week for the school calendar. Sure, I remember saying – happily popping fruit tarts that came in almost every fruity flavour you could think of. 

It’s been the same answer every year since, and fruit tarts or not, I’d always make time for the team. It’s definitely a great honour and pleasure to work with the team who put in so much effort into a cause they care so much for. 

Hair and Make up before the Video shoot! 

A third-year Kim with a second-year Kim in the poster while renovations were ongoing at the North Spine.
A third-year Kim on the bus in front of school! 

Today, everything seemed to come full circle – I got to meet the Deputy President, Provost of NTU, Professor Freddy Boey – when we filmed the new corp comms video together. We talked about the new renovated areas in school, how beautiful the North Spine has become, and how The Hive simply takes your breath away. We spoke about future of NTU, and how all the current success and possibilities to come, are only possible because we’re standing on the shoulders of giants. Our Alumni has laid a strong foundation for generations to come. I’ve got to admit, a little streak of pride ran through my veins as Prof Boey and I continued on about the solid culture of teaching and sharing in my school, WKWSCI. Most of what we learn are based on first-hand experience, and it’s truly up to seniors to hand those lessons down to the younger minds and showing them the way as how we were once shown. It’s about passing on the magic, and being a part of that legacy.

In the TV Studio Gallery - filled with amazing memories of great interviews and trainings
Something interesting Prof Boey mentioned in between our scenes, was how Thomas Heatherwick , designer of the most-talked-about building in NTU, The Hive, wasn’t even an architect by training. Yet despite this seeming to be a shortcoming, it only proved to be the very reason why his designs are groundbreaking. Having a boundless-imagination allowed Thomas to think against convention and say “why not”, rather than “we can’t do this, because of the technicality of architecture.” His freedom of mind made all the difference.  


Hopefully Thomas and Prof Boey’s words inspire students as how they inspired me – that possibilities are endless, if only you looked beyond what’s laid out in front of you J   


No comments:

Post a Comment